The State of Fine Art – New Perspectives on Artistic Copyright
International Symposium, November 4, 2014 in BrusselsThe international symposium on 'The State of Fine Art – New Perspectives on Artistic Copyright' took place in Brussels under the patronage of Helga Trüpel (MEP).
For the first time, this event saw European collecting societies and artists' organizations in the field of the visual arts take joint action at the European level. The aim was to draw attention to current copyright issues and to present the positions of the visual arts sector in Europe to the members of the European Parliament and the representatives of the new European Commission.
The event took place at the Belgian Society of Authors, Composers and Publishers (SABAM) in Brussels. Representatives of collecting societies and artists' organizations discussed the following topics on the panels:
- Resale right: implementation of the resale right and the European Resale Rights Directive
- Copyright contracts: What form would a fair European contract law take with regard to creators?
- Private copy remuneration: Importance of fair private copy remuneration
- User generated content and ISP responsibility: What problems and positions are there, what solutions are being proposed?
During the following evening reception the video screening 'High Heel Obsession' by Klaudia Stoll and Jaqueline Wachall was presented.
You can listen to all panels in English language (you are forwarded to SoundCloud):
- Welcoming speeches by Werner Schaub (IGBK) and Christophe Depreter (SABAM)
- Marie-Anne Ferry-Fall (ADAGP) and Martin Leskovjan (GESTOR) on resale right
- Martin Beckett (Britsh photographer) and Anouk Siegelaar (BNO) on copyright contracts
- Anke Schierholz (VG Bild-Kunst) on private copy remuneration
- Marie-Anne Ferry-Fall offering a presentation of the status of 3d printing
- Carlos Sanz Sanchez (EGEDA) on the Spanish Case
- Pavel Svoboda (MEP, Chair of the Committee on Legal Affairs) on copyright
- Alexander Von Arotin (Austrian artist) and Gerhard Pfennig (Initiative Urheberrecht) on user generated content
The symposium was organised by VG Bildkunst (Collecting Society for the Visual Arts), Internationale Gesellschaft der Bildenden Künste (IGBK), European Visual Artists (EVA), in cooperation with International Association of Art (IAA) Europe and EuroMEI. Supported by the German Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media.